A CAREFUL CRITICAL ANALYSIS OF 20TH CENTURY FILM AND ITS PSYCHOMETAPHYSICAL RAMIFICATIONS UPON POPULAR CULTURE. AND SHIT LIKE THAT.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

TRAVEL SIZE REVIEW: BILL HICKS LIVE (2004)


I don't idolize Bill Hicks, but I do find him interesting. Anyone dying at 31 is a tragedy, really, and if Bill lived on, I'm sure by the content on these 3 live shows he'd be merely adding to his fairly consistent repertoire and not changing the world. Although he would've rid it of Denis Leary, and we can only hope Bill would've never starred in crappy comedies with Kevin Spacey. Don't get me wrong, I found Bill's comedy routines very funny and his don't-give-a-shit persona fascinating, but here's some food for thought for all those who thought he revolutionized comedy: Bill Hicks was supposedly angry with Dennis Leary for what he felt was a theft of his act. But in watching Bill, I see an awful lot of Sam Kinison, another renegade comedian/drug abuser who died way way too young (and around the same time too if I'm not mistaken). So just a thought - Bill Hicks was a great stand-up comedian, but neither his act nor his demeanor were entirely new. And if you want visual proof of what cancer can do to a man, on his final Letterman appearance, he turned into Martin Mull.

No comments: